Thursday, November 27, 2008

Poems From My Nanny

While I was at my Papa's house for Thanksgiving, he gave me these poems that my grandmother (Nanny) had written about me (#1) and my parents (#2). I thought I would share them because she was such a good writer and she truly touched my life. One thing you need to know before you read- my middle name is Kathryn, so when I was little, my parents called me Katy. Here ya go-


Katydude



There's a little girl we call "The Dude"
She rides on the Texas wind.
She's always loved most dearly
By my very closest kin.
She's in and out and all about,
She wiggles when she walks,
She tells us stories of all kind;
But speaks the strangest talk.
She calls us on the telephone,
Her head moves back and forth,
And sometimes up and down,
We know she has the answer
But there often is no sound.
She also rides a wooden pony
With Papa's advice, she calls Tortoni
He gave it to her one Christmas day
Along with loads of love,
To bring her joy and happy play,
To make a little cowgirls day.
She wears a Mexican sombrero,
Of pink and purple hue,
And when her sissy starts to dance,
She does the hat dance, too.
She twists a little here and there,
And around the hat she'll go,
We wonder what she's singing-
But I guess we'll never know.
I've written down a couple of things
She does most every day,
Besides the smiles and tears she gives
To let us know she wants her way.
But what she'll do tomorrow,
Is a question left untold;
So I'll simply sit and watch her,
And marvel at her goal.
At what her mind can conjure up,
In this tiny little soul.
So go ahead, our Katydude,
Ride on the Texas wind,
But remember The One who sent you,
Will be your kindest Friend.
He'll whisk you on His wings of love,
You'll share the ride with the Lovely Dove.
So do whatever you came to do.
Make it honest, make it true
Let the One who sent you know
You'll do your very best;
For if you do, Then He'll take charge,
And give you blissful rest.


Copyright 1988 Mary Louise Brown-Poynter





The Blue

Sometimes in our lives
We must begin our world a-new
Forward, in a different direction
A dream, a place, "The Blue."

Perhaps our rainbow turns to gold,
Or maybe silver-lined,
Might it be possible this dream to lose?
Not at all what we had in mind.

No matter what the outcome,
The wine and roses flow,
For today you sought a dream,
To carry close forever,
Wherever you may go.

But just in case you turn and find
Your rainbow is not gold, or even silver-lined.
Your daily chores are much too much,
Not at all what you had in mind.
Just call upon the Lord, He will start your world a-new
He will give you back your dream, your place,
He will give you back "The Blue"

Copyright 1988 Mary Louise Brown-Poynter

2 comments:

Tara D. said...

What a sweet poem she wrote about you. I think that's so awesome that you have that from her. Her poems are very sweet.

hoLLy said...

wow, those are amazing! those are priceless rachel. what a treasure for you to be able to have those. i loved reading them.